Saturday, June 16, 2007

Re-install on a ThinkPad 42p

Some months ago I installed SLED 10 on my T42p, which already had Window XP Professional and eComstation 1.2MR on the 80 GB HD. Unfortunately I did not set aside sufficient space aside for SLED 10. I was unable to install patches due to insufficient disk space. I have allocated 5 GB to root, but that turned out to be unsufficient. When I installed SLED 10 I used linux tools to partition and format the areas needed for SLED 10. That turned out to be a bad idea, since DFSee later showed allignment errors.

My initial idea was to wipe the whole disk. I did not look forward to that, and it would properly only have increased the space I could set aside for SLED 10 by 5 to 10 GB, so I decided to keep the 36 GB NTFS partition with Windows XP Professional on it. It has about 40% freespace, and in the fall I need to install an object oriented process simulator on and some models. Beside the NTFS partition I also kept the BM partition. I am rather oldfashioned with respect to boot managers, and I am using the IBM Boot Manager as modified by Serenity Systems and Mensys.

The remaining partitions was wiped away. Upps! I forgot to burn the ISO image of eComstation 2.0 Beta4, which I downloaded a few days ago. So I had to re-downlaod it - damn!

The hard disk now is partitioned as follows:
- Windows XP Professional with SP2 - 36600 MB on an NTFS partition
- IBM Boot Manager - 7 MB
- eComstation 2.0 Beta 4 - 7500 MB on a JFS partition
- eComstation Data - 7500 MB on a JFS partition
- LILO - 36 MB Ext2 partition
- SWAP - 1000 MB on a swap partition
- SLED 10 - 10000 MB on a Ext3 partition
- /home - the rest - about 13000 MG on a Ext3 partition

At the moment, Windows XP Professional and SLED 10 are installed. SP1 for SLED 10 are being installed, and I am looking forward to using the new virtualization features of the upgrade. My goal is to run the ICAS programs virtualized in eComstation and SLED 10 before the end of the year. There may not be much current use for this, but it makes for some independence of the base OS.

After installing an update to SLED 10 which was not relevant I lost all networking and USB connections. I re-installed SLED 10 including the update to SP1. Unfortunately the connection to the server disappeared during the update to SP1, so at the moment the I have both a SLED 10 and a SLED 10 SP1 entry in LILO. This was my first experience with re-installing on a working Linux system, and it was a good one. The use of hidden files for configuration info meant, that all my Firefox and other application customization was pre-served during the re-install.